Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day 11: Sick-Day, Shopping, and Partying...


Sick-Day... I know what you're thinking but trust me, I really needed it. We got really cold at the aerials the night before and I really needed to get rid of that lingering cold. Not to mention that yesterday's shift ended close to 10pm and I was scheduled for 6am today. I just couldn't do it.

I slept in and when I woke up, I decided to hit the town and do some Olympic shopping (it's definitely a new sport and a competition all on its own...). I stood in line for the Bay (the Olympic Superstore) again, hoping they received new merchandise. Nothing. I even triple-checked the boys' section to see if they had an oversized t-shirt or hoodie. Nada. So I decided to check another HBC location: in Burnaby's Metrotown. The supplies at both the Bay and Zellers were even more scarce than downtown. Despite the reassurance from the staff that more shipments are coming in from China... I think I'm going to give up on the idea of getting an authentic Team Canada backpack or buying my brother an original Team Canada hoodie for his birthday. They are simply nowhere to be found. I did try to buy one off some random guy at a bar later that day but I don't think he took me very seriously...

I met up with Laine later for the 4:30pm Canada vs. Germany hockey game. We went to a bar (Score) to watch it on their giant TVs. The atmosphere was great! We even got free Canada inflatable baseball bats that we used as noisemakers (and toy weapons, of course). The Jackson-Triggs (official Olympic supplier) chardonnay and later some local ale were flowing freely and Team Canada won the game 8 to 2. I convinced Laine to go for a walk to Stanley Park's lighthouse area to finally get the picture I really wanted of the huge Olympic rings they installed in the water with the view of Vancouver's skyline in the background. He agreed as long as we'd stop and get a mickey of Jägermeister and some Rockstar energy drinks prior to heading to the park. Looking at it now, it was a baaad idea. A 710 ml can of caffeinated drink at 10pm will not let you have a good night sleep. I guarantee it... :P Not to mention mixing Jäger with some Vietnamese food just before going to bed. I'll just end this post here... Let's just say that the pictures turned out good! Adios... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment